Tuesday, May 14, 2013

House Updates

We have received the two items we bought from Costco and have set them up. We are currently shopping around for a roofer to help decide on the third item. Mom also came over a couple weekends ago and helped us put up pictures. Sounds easy but I have been trying to get some of them up since we moved in. More of Mom's visit will be in another post....

For this post I want to show you the pictures of what we got accomplished. While organizing the pictures I discovered that for some rooms I haven't shown the updates we have slowly been making so I will start taking pictures of the rooms as they are now to post later.

First up the garage. I don't really have any before pictures but I think you can imagine the before. We got the shelving unit from Costco and it is great! Fits perfectly, easy to assemble and plenty of room to store in. Everything that we have had to deal with on the floor, some stuff that we were storing in the laundry room were all able to be put on the shelving unit and there is plenty of room for more!







The wheelbarrow is my mom's and will be gone soon as we no longer need to borrow it so that will be more space for us as well. We have a few more projects for the garage but this shelving unit helps out A LOT! We want to put a storage unit over the garage door opener so we can lie the hurricane barriers up out of the way and other flat items and we want to put peg board on all/some of the walls so we can hang things like brooms, shovels etc. It is so much easier for me to pull in and out now and everything just looks so much neater!

The next thing we got from Costco was the bakers rack. It has worked just as well as we had hoped. I am just one more step closer to being able to use my Kitchen Aid mixer I got as a wedding gift!

One of the few true before pictures I have....
After :)
We were able to get so much stuff out of our pantry, off our counter tops and all those frying pans out of a cabinet. We have not reorganized everything yet because we just need the kit for the Kitchen Aid mixer and more time to figure out where the best spot for things is but we could not be happier with the bakers rack!

We hung a lot of pictures in the nursery. I would do a full nursery update but it is a mess! We had gotten so many diaper cakes that we had trouble storing them all and they all fell apart so we have diapers everywhere! When Mom comes up to help with Thor one of the things I hope to do is get the nursery picture worthy at least once :) But until then...here are the pictures we hung.

Before
After: Picture and the top of baby's first bookcase
Before
After: the shelf my Mom had when she was a little girl and Peter Rabbit and Howdy Doody collectibles


The above two photo's are probably my favorite part of the room. We did center them to the room not the crib because I do not plan on ever moving them where as the crib will leave the room at some point. The picture on the left (and the close up which is on the bottom) is of Benjamin giving Thor kisses while Thor is still "cooking". I was just trying to get photo's of Benjamin and my big belly. Benjamin is a cuddle bug so it wasn't hard to do. Benjamin must have felt Thor kick or something because he moved his head to look at Thor...I was lucky enough to catch it on camera. I was so pleased I got it! The plaque in the middle has a bible verse on it that we got from Ms. Micki and I thought it would be perfect to use as a separation of the two big photos. The second picture frame, which is empty right now, will have the picture of Thor lying on Benjamin when we go down to visit during maternity leave. We hung the frame now so we could ensure it was placed properly and so it would be easy for me to put up when we get the picture printed. I am so excited these pictures are working out as I hoped. And when "Thor" gets big enough and decides he wants other photo's in those frames we can just switch them out. I think the Hulk and Iron Man would look just as good in those frames :)







These two pictures are hung in the living room. These are two of my favorite pictures from the wedding. The left of us being our goofy selves and the right one being just a great formal, posed photo. We plan on putting the plate Caroline (Mom #2) painted as part of the Bridal Party gifts in the middle and then surrounding that area with photo's of the children as they come.





The above two photo's are of one of my favorite pictures from the engagement shoot. I did not use it as my "Save the Date" photo but it really shows our personalities. Brian is poking me as he always does and I am just smiling at him and trying to hide my laughter that he is still being his mischievous self while we are trying to get our photo's taken. I put this photo in the hallway heading into the Master Bedroom. If you were to look at the two photo's in the living room and look right you would be looking right smack at this photo.



The above photo is placed in the foyer. So if anyone walks in the front door this picture is one of the very first things to be seen. Excuse the boxes in the top photo, we haven't been able to get rid of all the trash from the baby shower/Costco purchases. It is one of the few good, rainy shots we have. It was torrential downpour when we got married and while our photographer was fantastic...we didn't listen to him as much as we should have and I miss not having more pictures of us out in the rain. I was too focused on making sure we got everything in and done to feel relaxed enough to add more out...but I am very glad we did get this shot.










This is one of Gamma Kay's prints. I love it and I put it in the hall way that takes you to the nursery (on the left) and the guest room (on the right). I think it ties the rooms and hall way together perfectly.



Before

After

This is one of Gamma Kay's paintings. It was originally in the kitchen where the baker's rack is but we moved it to the guest room. The bakers rack is just too high but that is okay because I think it looks great where it is :)

I am so glad we got the photo's up. The house is starting to feel more like a home and more like a family is actually living here. Before it looked like we had barely moved in and now, after over a year and a half, we have made it look like people do live here!


No comments:

Post a Comment