Saturday, September 18, 2010

Since work never seems to calm down...

I walked in yesterday thinking it was going to be a typical 7am-3pm shift. When I looked at the schedule to see who was coming in and noticed they had changed my schedule so that I would be leaving at 5pm. The only reason I can think of as to why they didn't call me last night was because they knew the answer would be yes. Of course they were right, I am fine helping out and the overtime is always nice but I sort of wish I got a phone call or even a text the night before. I didn't bring enough food with me but that proved unnecessary as I will explain in a bit.

The reason I had to stay late was a co-worker couldn't make it right at three and while check in was going to be easy there would be a lot of people coming in and I was to cover until that person came in.In the morning my cohort for the check out shift and I decided that since no one would be here in the morning to do the gift cards for tomorrow today that I would go ahead and do them yesterday morning as well as doing today's rewards cards. I was going to have to do them either way I just chose to do them yesterday or tonight on top of everything else I have to do. My cohort was okay covering the front desk as check out was going to be easy...a lot of people but easy. I had about 150 to do and started at 7am and did not finish till 10:30am. I had brought breakfast but was rushing so never ended up eating it. I did not have time to go and microwave it and eat it so at about 9am I ordered a bacon egg and cheese sandwich from the restaurant something I NEVER do but it was oh so good! My idea was that I would eat what I had brought throughout the day and viola I now have enough food for the day. However I barely got a chance to drink my V8 at 12:30 let alone anything else.

Before three both managers had issues to take care of so there wasn't anyone to help my cohort out if I went back and ate. The coworker I was covering for did end up coming in very early but I stayed to help cover the phones since my boss had to leave to take care of some other business. I have no idea what was going on at The Beach today but everyone was looking for rooms and we were sold out! The phones were going off the hook and everyone was checking in so I didnt get a chance to leave to make my food and eat it. Our microwave in the back office is broken and they haven't replaced it yet so I have to go to the kitchen behind the restaurant to cook the food and bring it back to the back office. That takes time which I didnt really have. Also I wasnt sure when I would be leaving and thought Brian would have food ready when I got home (he did) and didnt want to eat and then be asked to leave and expected to eat AGAIN at home. Well I didn't end up leaving until 8:30pm. The phones had calmed down and so did check in but my night time manager had to help solve an issue so I was covering for her.

Needless to say, I was starving when I got home. Brian was making chicken bog so we would have food for the weekend since we were supposed to go grocery shopping last night and I ate my left over Olive Garden. Brian and I watched some tv....well he watched while I fell asleep on his lap. I remember moving to the bedroom but thats it until 9am this morning.

Anyway, I want to help out at work and I enjoy helping cover for people because I like feeling needed but I need to find a balance. I was invited out last night by a friend and couldn't go, had to skip grocery shopping again so that makes food this weekend hard. We have not been able to go grocery shopping except once this month and so far so we have gone over in our restaurant budget and Brian has been forced to go over his "fast food" budget. I will go more into the budget in a couple days or so. Staying late/covering for people has also become one of the main reasons why I end up skipping Curves other then the fact that it is very boring right now.

If I do Crossfit in January I dont want to have to skip classes. It is too expensive for me to skip them and skipping them wont get me in any better shape. But I know myself, I know if asked to stay late I will no questions asked. So the main realization last night caused was that if I do Crossfit I need to do it in the morning before work at 6 am and see if I can adjust my schedule. That way I wont skip because of work. Plus if I dont need to stay late my day is over alot earlier then it is now. This will make the summer a lot better and since our season is SOOOO long it will leave me freer to help out when needed but not feel like I am sacrificing my free time as much as I am now. Brian wont get neglected as much, I may actually have time to see friends and/or schedule activities without fear of my work schedule changing so drastically that I have to chose between working out and friends, I think it will make my life a lot easier. Doing it in the morning should also help with finding/getting more time to do the grocery shopping.

Now if I can get up at 5am to work out at 6am.

No comments:

Post a Comment