Monday, April 4, 2011

VERY productive Saturday

This Saturday Brian and I went car shopping. He is currently driving a Chevy Aveo and it is on it's last leg. We have been doing some research online for awhile now and playing with numbers but we wanted to take a day off together and see some in real life. Because of our horrendous experience with his current car and his AMAZING experience with his first Ford he has decided to buy a Ford Fusion. If Ford disappoints (it really shouldnt) later on in life I guess it is European cars for our family (which is honestly what I am used to. I come from a Volvo family that escaped once Ford bought it and I am currently driving a Honda which I love). The Fusion has had excellent reviews from real people and the techy people as well. Our plan for this car is for it to last at least eight years if not longer. Brian and I both agree that you drive your car till it is dead and a good car with proper maintenance will last years.

There are about ten Ford dealers in our area (The south sells ALOT of cars....not sure why) and we picked one in the Pawley's area and ate lunch at a great restaurant that we never get to much due to the distance. Lunch was fabulous! I had an Italian sub packed with meat on a fresh sub roll. Brian had a Pork sub and we split home made Strawberry Shortcake. This place has great lunches but the desserts/coffee is what REALLY sets them apart.

We are so glad we went to an actual dealer! We learned a lot via our research online but we would have ended up buying the wrong car and spending too much if we hadn't seen it in real life. Online, the SEL's look SOOOO much longer then the S's or SE's so if we went only on the website we would have bought the SEL (not a bad choice just a choice not made on actual fact). Turns out the SEL, S, and SE are really the same length. The only difference is underneath the hood. So we still want an SEL but our reasoning behind it is sound. We don't want a Sport because of the god awful seating/interior decoration. They use contrasting colors like you would expect on a car for racing and while that is fine for some, that is definitely not what we are looking for and the car only comes this way. We also walked in thinking we wanted a 6 cylinder. We got to drive both and after thinking about the increase in the car and the lower gas mileage on top of that we have decided against the 6 cylinder. We also walked in thinking we wanted the Sat Nav package. We would still like it but have decided that it isn't worth the 3k they were asking. So by nixing the 6 cylinder engine and the Sat Nav, it has come down to a price that we can afford now. We could afford a higher payment but we want to have a life and pay this off early so what we count as "being able to afford" varies from others. We aren't buying RIGHT NOW but maybe the end of this month? Next month?

Our only real question now is color... He wants the Tuxedo Black but there is something in that paint color that is made in Japan so it is on hold indefinitely. If it becomes available when we are ready to buy that will be the color but in the mean time...these are the two options we like:

Brian's preference via ford.com
My preference via ford.com
Which do you prefer?

While we were there we were also looking at the Edge. The Edge would be the replacement of my car. My car should last another 3-5 years or so and we are hoping that by shopping/planning now for it will help us get even more of a down payment and make the process easier later on. My big concern is I don't like tall cars. My mom has a Saturn Vue and LOVES it but I hate it. It isn't a bad car by any means...I am just sitting WAY too high. I don't like feeling like the car is going to tip. My mom on the other hand, feels more comfortable driving up high. Go figure... Anyway I just wanted to sit in one since I would know then if it was even worth looking at. I didnt want to get my hopes up on this car and then be crushed if I couldn't drive it due to height. The height seems just fine. It definitely looks like it will be on the top of our list when the time comes. It does have one big perk though....

The back end can fit one of these :)

Meet Teddy
And George :)

No comments:

Post a Comment