Saturday, October 16, 2010

Savannah Cont.

The pictoral review of the trip is before this one. I was originally going to just leave it as it is but I feel the need to talk more about my general feel of the trip.

The trip wasn't a bad trip. I am very glad we went but Savannah is probably not a place I would go back to. We love Charleston but had/have awful luck finding good restaurants (not counting Blossom since my mom found that one). We dont like Savannah nearly as much as we like Charleston but Savannah is full of good restaurants! Take Savannah's restaurants and put them in Charleston...we would be in heaven.

My old night auditor/new office manager gave me some advice before Brian and I left. "Watch out for the crazies". That was a bit weird but kind of shrugged it off as he can exagerate at times but he was right this time. I haven't seen so many pan handlers and homeless since I was up in NYC/CT. I know the south has them...but I havent ever seen it yet and in Savannah...they are everywhere! The first square we found they were just chilling out, one even suggested another square to go to as the best sqaure in Savannah. When we got to said square, we realized this was one of the few squares that didnt have any homeless people in it. I tried not to look to shocked so I dont think he was offended by looks from Brian and I but it was just weird.  I never felt that Brian and I were in any more danger because of them but it was just a bit unnerving seeing so many of them again.

Savannah is also very touristy. More touristy then I even imagined and dare I say more touristy then Myrtle Beach? I thought I was getting away to a nice southern city where I could go shopping at stores found no where else, eat at restaurants that were distinctly Savannah and seen their local commerce at work. Yes, they have great restaurants and yes it is very pretty (we could not have picked a better day to go) but that is really about it. We couldn't find any real stores. All of the stores called "antique" aren't antique stores...just a nice way to say tourist trap. I cannot for the life of me figure out what the locals do. Brian and I were running out of things to do after lunch! We were killing time between lunch and the dissappointing ghost tour. At least up here you have the beach if you like that and there is golf/mini golf and other things to do. (our problem is we either A) don't like the things, i.e. beach or golf or B) don't have the spending money necessary to make things fun, i.e mini golf, bowling). I really am dumbstruck on what locals do or heck tourists do for more then a day. There was one kitchen store we managed to find called "Kitchens on the Square" which was cute. I tried to get the wedding gift there but it was filled with gadgets and I couldn't really find a good set. Love the store, reminds me of Charleston Cooks! in Charleston but not a great store for gifts if you don' really know what other people already have in their kitchens.

When we go to Atlanta/Florida I will want to stop in Savannah to eat at Molly Macphearsons :)

No comments:

Post a Comment