Saturday, June 11, 2011

First grocery trip under new Food Plan

I had a lot of toiletry/pantry items I needed to add to my list but I did have a fair amount of coupons. Don't worry...I am not going to go to "Extreme Couponing" extreme (I actually believe that you should pay for things you buy and that it is more wasteful to have a stock pile that extreme) but I could be a bit better about it.

This is what we ended up buying (I have pointed out which things I had coupons for):

Meat:
5 lbs beef brisket
2 packages Ball Park hot dogs-coupon
Produce:
6 large onions
Garlic
Limes
2 green peppers
1 Jalepeno pepper
4 zucchini
Frozen Peas
Carrots
Potatoes
Red Onions
Acorn Squash
Dairy:
Butter
Ricotta cheese-Sorrento (coupon)
Fresh Mozzarrella-Sorrento (coupon)
Sour cream
Half and Half
Provolone
Feta Cheese
Parm Cheese
1 package Breakstone cottage cheese-coupon
4 yogurts
Dried:
Lasagna noodles
Hamburger buns- Ballpark (coupon)
1 box Fiber One-coupon
Ritz crackers
1 box of Couscous
Baking:
Brown sugar
Duncan Hines Brownies-see coupon
Canned:
Tomato soup
Prego
Toiletries:
Neosporin-coupon
Bandaid brand-coupon
Energizer batteries-coupon
Venus Razor-coupon
Venus refills- coupon
2 Oral B toothbrushes-see coupon
Charmin toilet paper-coupon
2 Head and Shoulders-coupon
2 Pantene shampoo-coupon
Q-tips-coupon
Condiments:
Gulden's mustard-coupon
Juice:
2 V8 Splash- coupon

If you follow VERY closely you will notice I took out tomatoes and crusty bread. I also need to pick up a can of cream of chicken soup for one of my recipes. I thought I had enough but when I was putting the food away this morning I realized I didn't. We didn't get the crusty bread or tomatoes because Brian didn't think they would last long enough. So we will need to go back to the store for those 3 three things. We did get a lot of produce so I may be moving dishes around in case some of the produce doesn't look like it will last as long as expected. 

Our total was $178.83. I saved $31.91 in coupons and $11.97 with my Food Lion MVP card. I was very excited because some of the stuff I was going to buy with my coupons happened to be on sale with Food Lion! I know real couponers plan that out...but I don't have time for that so it was a nice surprise. So in total I saved $43.94!! And as I said before, a lot of what was on our list that wasn't produce/dairy/meet was pantry/toiletry items that we don't buy all the time so for the next few months we will not need to purchase those items. 

I can't wait until we start seeing results on whether this system is working or not...I believe it should.

No comments:

Post a Comment