Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Beef Stir Fry

Here is another recipe Brian and I like from this month's menu. I got it from Jenna's Journey and she mentions that she based this on Pioneer Woman's Beef and Peppers recipe. I have used a couple recipes from Jenna's Journey and Brian has really liked or loved all of them enough to ask to have it again. I have even reposted some and have a Roast and Carrots recipe and Banana Bread recipe waiting for me to cook.

Here is the recipe, I have included our suggestions.

Beef and Stir Fry

2 lb flank steak sliced 1/4" strips, against the grain  (we would cut them into bite sized pieces, quicker cooking, easier eating)
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 onion sliced (I literally sliced it, Brian says it should be halved then sliced)
1 package udon noodles, dry kind (we couldnt find it so we used rice. Probably won't look for udon noodles in the future)

Make two batches, in two separate bowls, of the following. One batch is for the marinade, the other is the sauce.

1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
1/4 cup sherry
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon ginger powder
3 garlic cloves
1 tablespoon sriacha (hot chili sauce, I forgot this in the marinade batch)

1) Mix marinade ingredients and toss beef to coat
2) Let marinade for 2 hours (due to scheduling, ours marinaded for 11-12 hours and was fine)
3) Mix sauce ingredients and set aside
4) Heat oil in skillet over medium high heat
5) Cook onions until just beginning to soften, about 4-5 minutes and remove them to a plate (I took the opportunity and added some carrots to the onion)
6) In batches, cook the meat adding additional oil if needed (I didn't)
7) Make sure to distribute the meat evenly in one layer
8) Cook about 1 minute per side (cooking took longer then expected)
9) Once all the meat is cooked, add meat and onions back to the skillet and turn down stove to low
10) Add the sauce and cook until thickened
11) Meanwhile, cook udon noodles according to package directions. Once cooked add to stir fry and toss to combine. (We used previously made white rice, so I zapped in the fridge for 1 minute, added it to pan and let it heat up the rest of the way there)
12) Serve while hot


Forgive the picture...forgot to take one until I was putting it away.

This recipe is spicy. I was fine but definitely needed a drink. If you are not one for spicy it is easy to fix, either take out the hot chili sauce, chili pepper in marinade or chili pepper in sauce or take out all three. I will probably keep the spicyness for next time...some say it speeds up your metabolism and I could always stand to drink more water ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment