Thursday, September 22, 2011

Painful Wednesday

I can't think of a better title. I give blood when I can. I used to do it more frequently but had stopped as it was becoming more and more inconvenient (no excuse when you think your slight inconvenience can save a life...I have to get better). One of the perks of working where i work is that the Red Cross comes in the bus, parks in parking lot and you can go on your lunch break and give blood. Can't get more convenient than that!

I had made my appointment for yesterday afternoon at lunch. I was going to miss gym but it is worth the sacrifice. I opened the door to the bus, filled out my paperwork, took the questionaire and waited patiently for my turn. Everyone was very nice. I had chosen to do my right arm.

Now as a disclaimer: I have bad veins. They like to hide. Even the best nurses sometimes have to try multiple times. Once the vein is found I am a pro...I can be done between 5 to 9 minutes depending on my physical activity before the donation. I mention this to EVERY nurse so they don't feel like failures when it gives them trouble.

I asked to lie in a chair and I do. My nurse was very distracted and kept helping other nurses so I ended up sitting there for what felt like forever waiting for her to come back to stick me. I know she had to help but it seemed that for some of those situations the other nurses could have waited for her to at least get me going for her to come help.

Finally it is my turn. I don't look as they are knicking me or when the blood is being taken so I don't faint (sometimes I am fine, sometimes not...I don't risk it). Again, I tell the nurse that my veins are difficult to find and not to feel bad if it takes a couple tries. She sticks me says its working then realizes it isnt. Instead of coming out and trying again she goes fishing. Most of the time this works and everything is fine. This was the only time it didnt work but really most of the time everyone just pulls completely out and tries again or switches arms. As I said it definitely didnt work this time. Blood was filling the bag but the inside of my arm was blowing up like a balloon. I know this because I looked when the nurse mentioned a problem. It took her a moment and a conference check with another nurse but it was apparently decided that this was a problem and they had to take it out. She did not offer the chance to try the other arm, I was just done. It was probably okay since I was feeling dizzy from seeing my arm like a balloon but I really wish this was all done for some good like a donation rather then just a waste of time.

I was left with two bruises of aqua blue and a bump. My arm killed all day. I couldnt type, write, or even move a mouse until about 6pm. After that it hurt to bend or straighten or hold anything with any sort of weight to it. Brian had to open almost everything for me as I couldn't stand the pain. It hurt so bad I had to call my Mom on my break and I never call anyone during my break because typically I am eating lunch and not wanting to be late. My arm hurt so much I had to miss Zumba :( I am used to having driving home be tough (I drive stick shift) due to tricep soreness but having the pain come from the inside the elbow from this was something else. Sore does not equal pain.

The nurse did the same thing to another girl behind me but she was at the end of her donation. If this had to happen after I had donated it would be fine. I would have accomplished what I set out to and someones life could have been saved or helped greatly and that in itself would make the pain worth it. Instead I had to sit through this pain with no positive outcome from it.

I have given blood and had to have blood taken for testing and have never had an experience like this. I hope I won't have to ever again.

These pictures were taken at 9 pm. I don't want to know what my arm looked like earlier then that.


No comments:

Post a Comment