Friday, September 2, 2011

What I have learned from knitting....

I have started knitting again. Since the wedding is basically all planned I have had more time on my hands than I knew what to do with....and the mountain kept staring at me. I finished the current square I had been working on and decided to finish one quilt. My new goal is to finish a quilt at a time. Oh and the quilts are not nearly as big. I have revamped it so that they are perfect for watching a movie/football game on the couch.

My first quilt is done except for weaving the extra strands in. The quilt is okay. It is definitely a quilt but I figured things out on how to put it together as I went so the second, third, etc will be much better. As of right now I am planning on gifting this one as I am not sure how noticeable the imperfections are but I may decide to keep this one for myself and make an extra one for someone.

So the two most important things I learned through trial and error that I wish was in the book I had?

1) Tighter is not always better. I had had a lot easier of a time assembling the quilt with the pieces that I thought were too lose, and it actually looks better with those pieces as well,  then with the pieces that were tighter like I thought they should be. I had to pull on the tight ones so much that in some spots the quilt doesn't lie as flat as it should. The tight/lose factor also made it difficult for all the squares to match up correctly. This is the part where I can't tell if it is noticeable and I should keep it for myself or if I am looking too closely and it is fine for a gift.

2) Remember how you stitch the squares together. Some I did a more invisible stitch and the others I did a more visible stitch. Either stitch would be fine if I kept it consistent...it just doesn't look like how I  expected it. It isn't something that I would decide to keep or give over, just something to keep in mind for the others.

So exciting! Brian thinks it is cute :) Maybe I will have the 4/5 ready by the wedding ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment