Monday, October 3, 2011

Honeymoon drama

I am stuck on the Honeymoon. I have always said that we (should I really be saying "I" in this case?) would like to go abroad as we see it being easier now sans kids then later with kids, school, dogs, other responsibilities. I have also said that I wanted it be a week or so and not a weekend trip if we could.

I am thinking now that maybe we can't.

I thought about Ireland:

via google.com




Ireland is an English speaking country, we could do it in a week and it isn't too hard to get to. However I have been there and Brian hasn't so he is probably going to want to see things I already have seen and I will want to see things I haven't. They also drive on the opposite side of the road which I can do but Brian hasn't yet and I do not want to be the only one driving. They also mainly drive stick which I can do but Brian cannot and again I do not want to be the only one driving. We could rent an automatic but that just adds more to the cost. I definitely want to get back to Ireland but I am starting to think that we should go someplace neither of us have been.

I am also starting to feel cheap so we thought about Canada:

via google.com

Obviously English speaking (outside of Montreal/Quebec), the drive on the correct side of the road, easier to get to and even in the peak season it is cheaper. We would stay on the eastern side of Canada: Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, Halifax, etc. I looked into the all inclusive, pre planned tours and they barely go anywhere so we would plan it ourselves as we like to cover a lot of ground. Down side? Still don't know if we could afford to go there and Brian isn't a fan of Canada.

I then thought about Iceland:

via google.com
Iceland is an English speaking country (right) and would be something new and different. However it is more difficult to get to, isn't that cheap and has a lot of outside activities which is great for me but not so much for Brian.

I have since been starting to think of staying in the US but going somewhere we couldn't make into a day trip or a 4 day weekend trip. Maybe seeing the West coast sans California? Colorado? Washington? Oregon?

Colorado via google.com

I can't really plan anything because we don't know how much money we will have saved up for it. I know some people ask or use the money they get for their wedding for the honeymoon but I don't really want to do that. That money will either go towards paying of student loans or for the house. All the money we are currently saving is going towards the house. When we go and for how long will also depend on how much money we have. I hate this because I feel like I should know, or be able to plan this and I can't. It is one of the fun questions when you find out someone is getting married and I don't have a fun answer.

And part of me doesn't care about the honeymoon. We are going to go on one because I know I will regret it later but at the moment I would much rather take that money and accomplish a couple things on our house to do list.

No comments:

Post a Comment