Thursday, October 6, 2011

Scalloped Potatoes

This is the recipe I made to go with the lamb. Brian loved it and I liked it. I just dont think I like scalloped potatoes for some odd reason. I love potatoes and I love cheese and I like cheese on baked potatoes but I don't LOVE scalloped potatoes as I would have thought. I did think this recipe was a bit salty. I didnt really add salt, I think it came with the cheese. I also didn't really measure the cheese. I figured there is no such thing as too much cheese but maybe there is?

Anyway definitely making it again, will probably measure the cheese this time and maybe add more cream. I did think it could be creamier.


Four Cheese Scalloped Potatoes

Ingredients:

1 ½ tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces, plus more for brushing
½ clove of garlic
1/3 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1/3 cup shredded asiago cheese
1/3 cup shredded raclette or comte cheese
2 lbs russet potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/8 inch thick
Kosher sat and freshly ground pepper
2 cups heavy cream
¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
4 fresh bay leaves
¼ cup grated parmesan cheese

Directions:

1) Position a rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat to 425
2) Generously brush a large skillet with butter, then rub with the garlic
3) Combine the mozzarella, asiago and raclette in a bowl
4) Heat the skillet over medium-high heat
5) Add half of the potatoes, spreading them out
6) Sprinkle with ¾ teaspoon salt, half of the cut up butter, half of the shredded cheese blend and pepper to taste
7) Arrange the remaining potatoes on top
8) Sprinkle with ¾ teaspoon salt and pepper to taste
9) Pour the cream over the potatoes, then add the nutmeg and bay leaves; simmer 3 minutes
10) Dot the potatoes with the remaining cut up butter
11) Generously brush a shallow baking dish with butter, slide the potatoes into the dish; arrange with a fork if desired (if skillet is oven proof bake the potatoes in the skillet)
12) Sprinkle the potatoes with the parmesan cheese and the remaining shredded cheese blend
13) Bake until golden, about 25 minutes
14) Let rest 5 minutes before serving and discard the bay leaves

~Food Network Magazine, April 2011, page 127

No comments:

Post a Comment