Thursday, February 3, 2011

Knitting

So I got this book:

and yes I did get it from Amazon. I like this book a lot. It is funny! I read it while at work before I got my supplies as a once over. I figured it might make knitting easier if I wasn't trying to do it and figure out what is going on in the book. I like to know what is coming up next and if I don't know I will start to freak out. Anyway, this book had me laughing! I so far love her way of explaining how to do things and has a great way of admitting that something is hard and will take a couple of tries without making it seem impossible. Plus you can't beat the title :). The first part of the book is "how to". It goes through yarn types, needle types, how to knit, how to end it, how to add another colored yarn, etc. The second half is full of patterns. I have not looked at the patterns yet but I expect good things for them.

I have also found some great sites for free patterns. The hardest part right now is following the instructions. Yes it sounds easy and usually I am AMAZING at following directions except for maybe with recipes :-\, but this is all in code. Some of the patterns are going to be hard only because the instructions will be so hard to follow.

I started knitting this week. The book suggested US size 8 needles and worsted yarn. I am thinking the book is wrong on this. I think it would be much better for a beginner knitter to start out with bigger needles (10/12) and a thicker weighted yarn. That way they move much quicker and have a sense of accomplishment that will get them to keep coming back. I have found that knitting hurts my knuckles. I would say my hands but it really is mainly my knuckles. I can only knit 3-4 rows at a time before I have to stop and wrest my hands. My fingers have trouble working after wards as well....I imagine this is what Arthritis is like.

Brian thinks it is hilarious that I am knitting and is calling me old daily. He also doesn't like me doing it while we are watching tv. I was thinking this was a hobby I could do while watching tv and other activities like that. I think he thinks it is an activity to do while he is at work or playing his game since when we do have time together I shouldnt be 100% focused on other things and hang out with him. It does take me a LONG time to knit a row....like 30 minutes and I am only doing 54 stitches! I have a feeling as I get better I will be quicker and wont have to focus so much on it and therefore can watch tv, knit and pay attention to Brian.

This is how far I have gotten so far:



I have decided that I am knitting 4 of my friends something for Christmas this year. I have even designed all the projects. I am going to have to step it up if I keep going at this rate! Oh this will probably be the only picture I show as I do not want to ruin their presents :). The beginning was a bit rough, dropped some stitches here and there so it is a bit bumpy at the bottom but everything I have been doing is going smoothly. One thing I think I do do wrong: I hold the yarn to tight. I am so afraid of having a stitch slip that a pull too tightly on the yarn which makes the loops too tight and hard to get the other needle through. I have to get better on that aspect, maybe my hands wouldn't hurt if I fixed that...

No comments:

Post a Comment